YBNL Nation (Yahoo Boy No Laptop Nation) Is a prominent Nigerian record label and music collective that saw its inception at the hands of the highly acclaimed Nigerian rapper, Olamide Adedeji, who is widely recognized as Olamide Baddo or simply Olamide. The label was officially established in the year 2012, with Olamide himself assuming the role of its head and serving as its primary artist.
YBNL Nation’s core mission revolves around fostering and elevating talent within the Nigerian music industry, with a special emphasis on genres like hip-hop, rap, and Afrobeat. Olamide, renowned for his distinctive musical style and his knack for blending indigenous Nigerian languages with contemporary music trends, has utilized YBNL Nation as a platform not only for his own artistic endeavors but also as a springboard for emerging talents.
Over the years, YBNL Nation has played an instrumental role in nurturing numerous gifted up-and-coming artists, extending them record deals and catapulting them into the limelight. Some of the most notable artists who have been affiliated with YBNL Nation include:
• Lil Kesh: Lil Kesh’s rapid rise to fame in the Nigerian music industry began when he joined YBNL Nation in 2014 under the mentorship of Olamide. In the same year, he achieved stardom with chart-topping hits like “Shoki” and “Efejoku.” These songs not only dominated the Nigerian music scene but also resonated with audiences across Africa due to their catchy beats and danceable rhythms. Lil Kesh’s unique rap style, which seamlessly incorporated elements of the Yoruba language, set him apart. This fusion of contemporary hip-hop with his cultural heritage not only showcased his versatility but also garnered a dedicated fan base.
• Adekunle Gold: In 2015, Adekunle Gold, renowned for his distinct blend of highlife and contemporary R&B, joined the YBNL Nation family by signing a record deal. His music, characterized by this unique fusion of genres, swiftly garnered significant recognition and acclaim. Two of his standout tracks, “Sade” and “Orente,” particularly captured the hearts of music enthusiasts and critics alike.
• Viktoh: In 2014, Viktoh became a part of YBNL Nation, marking the beginning of his musical journey with the label. Viktoh is notably known for his hits “Skibi Dat” and “Me And My Guys,” which showcased his talent and contributed to his recognition within the music industry.
• Chinko Ekun: In 2014, Chinko Ekun joined the YBNL Nation, and from that moment, he set the music scene ablaze with his dynamic and high-energy rap style. One of his notable contributions was the hit song “Able God,” which became a massive success, further solidifying his reputation as a talented artist within the YBNL family and the broader music industry.
• Fireboy DML: Fireboy DML stands as one of the most remarkable success stories to emerge from YBNL Nation. He officially joined the label in 2018, and his impact was nothing short of extraordinary. Fireboy DML quickly attained widespread recognition thanks to a string of chart-topping hits, including “Jealous,” “Vibration,” and “Scatter.” These songs not only captured the hearts of fans but also solidified his position as a major force in the Nigerian music scene.
• Asake: In the year 2020, Asake became a noteworthy addition to the YBNL Nation family. In a short span of time, he garnered significant recognition and popularity, particularly under the captivating moniker “Mr. Money.
• Lifesize Teddy: The latest and most recent addition to the YBNL Nation lineup is Lifesize Teddy, a highly promising and talented young female rapper who was discovered in the year 2023.
Moreover, YBNL Nation has been instrumental in nurturing numerous emerging talents, giving them a platform to thrive in the music industry. Some of the artists who have benefited from the YBNL platform and gained recognition include:
- Picazo Rhap
- Jaido P
- Young John
- Bella Shmurda
- Jay Willz
- Danny S
- Spy Shitta
In essence, YBNL Nation’s enduring legacy lies in its commitment to showcasing and nurturing talent while contributing significantly to the vibrant Nigerian music scene.